Successful Leaders Say These Things

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Getting to be in a position of influence is one thing, being a person of influence is quite another. Great leaders are those who understand that positional influence is very limited, but personal influence is much more long-lasting and widespread.

Success

What is it great leaders do that sets them apart from mediocre leaders who depend on wielding their positional power? By and largely it is in the words they use. Peter Economy, a writer for Inc., has compiled a list of the 17 things successful leaders say every day that sees their employees becoming partners rather than adversaries, complete with the trust and loyalty that businesses need to function at high levels. You can read the full article here, but the 17 things? Here they are:

1. What do you think?
  2. I trust you.
  3. I know you can do it.
  4. It’s not your fault.
  5. I’m proud of you.
  6. Please.
  7. Thank you.
  8. Great idea–let’s do it.
  9. I’ve always got time for you.
  10. I couldn’t have done it without you.
  11. No one is perfect.
  12. What can I do to help?
  13. I made a mistake.
  14. I need your help.
  15. Anything is possible.
  16. I’m sorry.
  17. I’ve got your back.

A challenge is to try using some of these over the next two weeks (and mean it!) and see what happens in your workplace.

The Avondale Business School can help you and your team develop leadership skills – find out how by contacting Warrick Long at the Avondale Business School.
E: [email protected]
P: 02 4980 2168