Appealing to the Millennials

Sunday, September 27, 2015

The MillennialsVery recently LinkedIn undertook a worldwide survey of the Millennials (born 1981 – 1997) about their attitudes to the financial services industry, and banking in particular. Business Insider has accessed the data for the Australian people and have compiled an infographic that gives their preferences. You can read about it here.

Whilst this is for the financial services industry, it is possible to extrapolate from it to get a better understanding of the Millennials and what it is they want. Listed below is my summary of these, and I would refer you to the full article to draw your own conclusions. However, if you are wanting to provide a product of service to this group (including offering employment), then it might pay to be aware of what it is that attracts them.

1. Connectedness

• Is there a positive buzz about this organisation within social media that I want to be associated with?
  • What is the vibe from my own personal social media?
  • Do they offer a one-stop shop that includes easy to access information, a variety of communication channels, and one place for me to do all my transactions with them?

2. Tribal

• What is the experience of my family and close friends with this organisation?
  • Would my family and friends recommend this organisation?

3. Inspiration

• What influence does this organisation have?
  • Do I agree with their values and vision?

Ignore this group at your peril, as they are now coming into middle age, consumer power and influence.

If you would further information on how Avondale Business School can help your organisation, contact Warrick Long

E: [email protected]

P: 02 4980 2168