Corrupt file in the system

Enter the Saviour

Dr Bruce Manners
Senior minister
Avondale College Seventh-day Adventist Church

Sorry. That was the message from the National Australia Bank (NAB) to its customers this week when its computer system failed. That meant millions of customers were left short of cash over the weekend, many didn’t receive their pay on time.

“The problem was caused by a corrupted file,” said NAB spokesperson George Wright on ABC radio this morning (Monday). He denied human error was responsible.

“We’ve identified the file and remediated the problem and have been working over the weekend,” he said.

I’m guessing “remediated” means fixed.

“And I’m able to report that this morning for the vast majority of our customers their accounts have now been brought up to date.” Only 19,000 customers still wait for their accounts to be fixed. Only 19,000.

Not being an NAB customer, I’ve barely noticed the problem. It’s been an interesting news piece, little more.

Sorry. That’s my message to NAB customers—particularly the 19,000. I’m sorry you’ve had the difficulty, and sorry I may not seem to have the concerns you do. It’s just it hasn’t made an impact on me.

It does remind me, though, of the corrupt file coming out of Eden, which makes an impact on all of us. Human error was definitely involved, and we can point to our first parents. It’s a viral corruption that’s infected every generation.

Let’s call this corrupt file sin. Mostly, we talk about sin as wrongful acts, which is true. But there’s also sin that can be described as the “earthly things lurking within you” (Colossians 3:5, NLT). It’s part of our being.

This can’t be easily remediated.

Enter Jesus. He could have merely said, “Sorry you’re in this situation. I hope you sort it out.”

Sorry was never enough. Not when we need a Saviour. Thank God for Jesus.

Tags: