When God doesn’t sky-write

Finding answers in process rather than in signs

Dr Bruce Manners
Senior minister
Avondale College Seventh-day Adventist Church

Bruce Manners“OK, God, now’s the time to sky-write the answer.” That was my prayer last Wednesday.

God didn’t answer—at least not by skywriting. It was cloudy at the time, so maybe I just couldn’t see the message.

But most times, God doesn’t give a direct answer. That shouldn’t surprise us because He’s given us a number of resources to help us make decisions. And that starts in our head. We have the power to think and to reason.

He’s given us the Bible. It’s superb at giving us information about Him, and about lifestyle and relationships. The Bible is much more than an answering service, but it answers many questions. Example: I’m a Christian, should I go out with this non-Christian? Answer: Beware of teaming up with those who are unbelievers (2 Corinthians 6:14). That answer is also common sense.

I’d been wrestling with my question for several weeks. During that time I found it helpful to talk to people I knew had a heart for God. They had enough wisdom to listen a lot and not answer the question. They proposed scenarios and they made suggestions, but it was my question.

I’d also found myself collecting scraps of information I’d file away. It was helpful in giving me some insight into my situation and how I should respond.

Finally, having people pray with you and for you when you’re trying to make decisions is incredibly supportive and helpful.

Last Wednesday, God didn’t sky-write an answer. But there was an answer. It came out of a process, not a momentary sign.

I know what it’s like to have God speak directly to you because I’ve experienced it. But that’s rare. Mostly you have to search out an answer. Fortunately, God has provided the resources.

Then you move forward in faith.

Tags: