The inadequacy of inadequacy

It’s not about who we are or what we do; it’s about who He is

Bethany Turner
Bachelor of Ministry and Theology (Honours) student
Avondale College of Higher Education

Do you ever feel who you are just isn’t enough? Inadequacy and I are good friends, particularly when I’m looking for a reason to say no: “I could never do that. After all, who am I?” But I’ve discovered this line isn’t original. One of the greatest leaders of all time used it and God conclusively answered the question.

Moses is just a shepherd. His job isn’t a high-profile, high-energy or high-paying one. Worse, he’s been stuck in it 40 years.

Then one day an unusual desert fire catches his attention and his life is changed forever. God has this message: “There’s a job vacancy and I’ve volunteered you for it.” That might have been flattering if the job wasn’t so impossible. God tells the man who’d done nothing but herd sheep for 40 years, “Go back to Egypt, where you’re on the wanted list, and lead a nation out of there.”

Well, Moses isn’t so sure he wants to volunteer! Imagine being asked to headline a concert at Sydney Opera House when you haven’t played for 40 years, or being asked to lead an evangelistic series when you haven’t led anyone to Jesus. Moses says to God, “Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?” (Exodus 3:11, NLT) In other words, “What makes you think I could do the job?” Now if you ask someone that question, they’ll likely begin listing your abilities (with a few extras thrown in for good measure), but what’s God’s answer? “I will be with you” (Exodus 3:12, NLT).

I will be with You. It’s not about who we are or what we do; it’s about who He is.

The challenge: be willing to go beyond your abilities because God is with you. Remember, “If you set a goal you already know how to accomplish, it probably isn’t big enough!” (Rick Warren)

Tags:

4 Responses to “The inadequacy of inadequacy”

1. Bethany Turner says:

Thanks, Rhonda, for the encouragement of being reminded how widely this lesson applies—your comment blessed me. I keep needing to be reminded I can rest all of my incompetency with God. You did that. And I’m so glad, in turn, you were encouraged. May you be richly blessed.

2. Rhonda Waiyo says:

I’m touched and challenged by your message, Bethany. I’ve also had feelings of inadequacy in a few of my duties and responsibilities—in church leadership, at work and at home (when the kids are too hard to manage myself). Your words encouraged me. It’s not about me, it’s about God who knows I can do anything with Him by my side.

3. Bethany Turner says:

Bob

Thank you so much for sharing. Your message warmed my heart. God prompted me to write this devotional at a time when feelings of inadequacy were overwhelming me. The power of the promise of God’s presence has helped me so many times, so I’m glad to know He used this same thought to bless you.

Bethany

4. Bob Dempsey says:

Bethany

My thoughts earlier today matched those in your comment, Moses telling God, “I can’t do it.” I said the same thing to God today about something I’ve been asked to do in ministry, and He reminded me about what Moses said. Then I found your comment, a confirmation to me that God will be with me, and that is all I need to know.

Thanks.

Bob Dempsey (Clayton, Ohio, USA)