The Laredo heritage: four Avondale generations

Larry Laredo

Larry and Ruby Laredo with members of their extended family.

Jack Laredo arrived at Avondale in 1936. At the age of fourteen he had been sent as a state ward to live with a farming family in Tasmania. The family were Seventh-day Adventists, and Jack also became an Adventist. Working with George Burnside as a literature evangelist in Tasmania inspired him to attend Avondale. His three years at Avondale strengthened his faith and, significantly (since he had no relatives), provided lifelong friendships. He met and married Del Warden in 1939, and went on to develop a successful business in Sydney.

Jack’s son Larry came to Avondale in 1957, where he too met his wife Ruby (Pike). Avondale confirmed their spiritual commitment and gave them a vision of the world’s needs. Larry served as a literature evangelist for three years, worked in media for twelve years, then accepted a call to full-time ministry in 1981. He was ordained in the Avondale College Church in 1986. As he and Ruby moved about in ministry, Ruby was variously employed with the Signs Publishing Company, Sanitarium, and the Sydney and Auckland Adventist Hospitals.

Larry and Ruby Laredo

Their two children both attended Avondale, their daughter Jenny (Hilder) graduating from Business Studies Audio course in 1982, and their son Grant graduating with a Diploma of Applied Science (Nursing) in 1986. Jenny Hilder is currently the Vice President of the Avondale Alumni Association.

Jenny’s daughter Kelly graduated from Avondale in 2005 with a Certificate II in Business.

Grant’s daughter Rosanna expects to graduate in 2010 with a Bachelor of Education (Secondary) majoring in personal development, health and physical education. Grant’s son Daniel is at Avondale studying for a Bachelor of Arts degree with specialisation in music. Rosanna and Daniel believe they have made the right decision to continue the family tradition preparing for service at the same place where their grandfather studied seventy-five years ago.

“I would not give up my four years at Avondale for anything,” Rosanna writes. “The experience has shaped my character hugely and strengthened my relationship with God in a very satisfying way. Without the influence of my parents and my extended family in encouraging me to go to Avondale, I may have missed such an enriching and blessed time in my life.”

Tags: