Correspondence

Graduation 2012

Thanks to the organisers of graduation 2012. I found the class theme, “By their fruits,” so fitting. The quality education Avondale provides gets better every year. Melissa Roger’s achievement (“Master of music,” Connections Vol 25 No 27) is proof of this.

Avondale-trained teachers taught me for most of my training life. I salute Avondale for graduating service-minded students who come to the Pacific islands. I wish Avondale God’s blessings for 2013. See you again at graduation this year.

Fulori Bola
Pacific Adventist University
Papua New Guinea
wp.avondale.edu.au/news

Sara Thompson: “The least”

From the “Road-to-publication-is-rarely-smooth” file: Sara Thompson waited almost a year before the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the South Pacific’s newsmagazine Record published her winning piece from the Signs Publishing Company Writing Competition at the Manifest Creative Arts Festival in 2012 (“The least,” Connections Vol 25 No 7). The poem received this comment:

I have taught English literature for over 30 years and have never been moved by a poem written by a young student, as much as this poem has affected me. Congratulations to Sara on her achievement. I believe she was truly inspired in her writing of it. I believe that she well deserved the Signs Publishing Company prize. I hope we apply her message in all our lives.

Gerry Blum
Western Australia
record.net.au/items/the-least

Tags: