Editorial

Kimberley Ellison

I would guess I’m not alone in saying that the past few weeks have been summarised (not to mention exacerbated) by the weather.

A series of highs and lows; warm, sunny days building up until they’re too hot for their own good and they come crashing down in a hullabaloo of rain, thunder, and lightning — only to start rebuilding. It’s as though summer is a toddler who can’t quite stay on its feet yet.

One of the factors contributing to my own personal mayhem of ups and downs is this precious little publication. This is the last issue of the Voice for the year, and I’m honoured to be able to turn it over to the capable hands of Sara Thompson and Jamin Binning, the new editor and designer for 2011. I have no doubt that they will inspire and entertain you with their very own style.

I hope you, the student body, will continue to use The Voice as a microphone for your own voice, because no matter how cliché it may be, or how many John Farnham songs it may provoke (one, repeated over and over and over…), this magazine is called The Voice for a reason. Proverbs 28.8 says “Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” This may seem like a rather small start for such noble aspirations, but from small things, big things grow.

To those of you who are graduating soon, congratulations! You did it! The beginning of the rest of your life is so close you can smell it, and it probably smells a lot less like weet-bix or a marmite creek than your current life.

To those of you who are returning, make the most of it. I feel old just thinking about writing this, but it actually does fly by.

The good news is (providing climate change doesn’t kick in faster than expected), summer will learn to walk, and chances are that with it, some stability will return to the lives of Avondaliens everywhere.

Meanwhile, enjoy dancing in the rain!