God-Moments: Finding a Direction

Jamin Binning

As you read this article I will be flying towards a country I haven’t set foot in since my birth; a distant country called Nepal.
My biological mother passed away not long after my birth, leaving my father to try raise the last of his many children. Unable to attend to my early life’s needs, my biological father gave me away for adoption when I was just six months old. Now, at twenty-one years of age, I believe in my heart that he gave me away in love and I know that God had His hand in my life. He gave me an opportunity to have life once again — and not just physical life, but a life that would become eternal through His love and grace.

I am about to embark on what will be one of the biggest adventures in my life; returning to Nepal to discover my biological father, family and homeland. Growing up I have constantly told myself that I do have a purpose in life, even when at times it has been hard to see where God is leading me. After making it out of one of the poorest countries in the world, I have had to realize over and over again just how blessed I am. I know at times we all doubt our direction in life and we just don’t understand God’s time, but the fact is we may never be called to save the world and see our purpose on such a large scale. King David said in Psalms 17:15 “And I — in righteousness, I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness”. For David, his purpose was daily; striving to be more like God and adapting His likeness to his own life.

God has a plan for us all. He hasn’t kept your heart beating for nothing. I hold this verse close to my heart through all trials and tribulations: Jeremiah 29:11 reads  “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” God didn’t bring me or you into the world for nothing. My circumstances as a baby would have left me dead, but God won a victory over my life and now each day my purpose is found in Him. I encourage you to put your focus on God and to leave your purpose with Him. Give the control to God and He will find purpose in your life.

“You were made by God and for God and until you understand that, life will never make sense.” – Rick Warren