7 Secrets of ‘Servant Leadership’ That Will Lead You to Success

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Servant LeadershipI’ve never been comfortable with the term ‘servant leadership’, despite writing a Masters paper on it that scored very well (the lecturer loved servant leadership so I just told him what he wanted to hear!). I wonder if it was because I had not seen it modelled very effectively, and in more recent times I must admit that I am seeing more and more. When it is done well, it creates an environment of trust and confidence where people flourish and organisations gain the benefits from that.

Writing recently in the Inc. online edition, Peter Economy identified the 7 secrets of servant leadership. You can read the full article here, but as a teaser, here are a few of them in simple point form:

1. Every person has value and deserves civility, trust, and respect
  2. People can accomplish much when inspired by a purpose beyond themselves
  3. Lovingly hold themselves and others accountable for their commitments

Once you read the full article, it’s time to reflect on your own leadership and see if there are some aspects of servant leadership that you can introduce. Maybe think of just one you could try this week.

The Avondale Business School can help you with servant leadership in your organisation – find out how by contacting Warrick Long at the Avondale Business School.

E: [email protected]

P: 02 4980 2168