Bob and Breathe in Budgewoi

Friday, June 10, 2016

It is only a matter of moments after I enter the Central Coast Highway from the junction at Doyalson, that I notice a change in the flora hugging the narrow road, suggesting that I am getting closer to the sea. Soon after I catch a glimpse of water in my peripheral vision and I can confirm with certainty, I’m heading into beach land.  Beach3

I’m familiar with this type of sleepy town, and Budgewoi doesn’t seem any different. There are a number of family-friendly parks with BBQ facilities, pristine fishing locations, beautiful secluded beaches and a hub of cafes, restaurants and shops to grab a feed. You would think that I’m describing your usual run of the mill eatery designed to entice city-slickers who want to get away for a weekend. But there is something different in Budgewoi – something unique. In the heart of this humble suburb is a small gem of a boxing gym, which produces giants for the amateur boxing circuit. Now if you’re familiar with sleeping beach towns, you should be asking yourself “What is a boxing gym doing here?” My curious mind was certainly wondering, so I had to check this place out.

The owner of the gym, Steve Mannix started boxing in Blacktown, Sydney when he was ten and began coaching in his late teens. He and his family moved to Budgewoi to get away from the rat race but soon enough his past caught up with him and he began coaching at his home at the request of his son and other young folk that wanted to don the gloves. The gym that started in his home soon grew to renting out a small building sitting on top of a fish’n’chip takeaway in one of the corners of the town.Boxing4

Steve tells me that the gym is like a home to a few of the young fighters, they go to the Central Coast Boxing Gym to get away from peer pressure, procrastinating, and bullying just to name a few reasons. As I sit in the gym and soak up the homey ambience of the gym, I watch two men spar, bobbing and weaving, parrying and punching, and then finish a round by congratulating each other. I see another two shadow boxing while engaging in conversation about their day, and I watch how Steve counsels one of the young female boxers who is engrossed, and appears convinced that Steve is offering sound and solid advice. I was told they train like a family and it is evident to me that this is an apt description, even at first glance.

Their workout schedule sounds intense, but Steve assures me that training in Budgewoi is much more pleasurable than training in Sydney. Taking his solid stable for a run on the beach is not challenged by a vast number of tourists and locals as it might be in the busier parts of Sydney. These boxers are not disciplining their bodies for exhibition, they train to bring out the best fighter in them. So they train hard. But they also rest hard and cooling down in the waves after an intense training session is therapeutic for the muscles and the mind. I’m starting to wonder why anyone would want to train in any gym that’s not close to a secluded beach. And I suddenly realise that their club motto “Humble in Nature, Courageous in Action, Fear Nothing, Fight for Everything,” is a suitable mantra for the serenity that Budgewoi offers to the intensity of the daily grind that we often fight against.

Anchor1                  My first encounter with Budgewoi was an arranged meeting with a wiser gentleman to help me reconcile a few things I had been struggling with. He took me to Anchor Cafe which is just a stroll from the secluded beach. He bought me a hearty lamb kebab and my palate was entertained while my mind was given sanctuary in the form of counsel from a sage . We then headed to the beach, and there was no need for anymore discussion. The secluded shore with scarce footprints, the roar of the crashing waves, the view of the lighthouse in the distance, and the mystery beyond the horizon was enough to sooth the soul. And, therein lies the magic of Budgewoi. Whether you’re fighting against the madness of mundanity, or the daily routine of hard work or study, then Budgewoi is the place for you to take a breather. And even if you’re not really feeling a need for a break, book in a workout session with Steve Mannix, after which you’ll certainly need a relaxing session at Anchor Cafe and beach.

On the return drive from Budgewoi, I feel like a new man. It’s appropriate I blast the “Rocky” theme music on my car stereo. That was not my last visit to Budgewoi, I have since visited once a month for the sake of sanity and to appreciate that all the hard work of everyday life is really worth it. Bios Pic

David Leo is studying Theology and Ministry with a minor in Communication at Avondale College of Higher Education. He’s sold on the idea that the Holy Bible has some solid lyrics and hopes to bash everybody with it. He lives in the Central Coast of New South Wales and enjoys a good yarn, camping and road trips with his wife and kids, and writing Facebook statuses of interesting discussions he has with his 8 year old son. He hopes to travel to Europe and the Middle-East to visit the places where the Bible was originally written. He wishes feijoas were grown in Australia.