Tourist in Your Own City

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Sydney, the city of blue skies and ground breaking architecture. Technically, my post code places me inside this magical place, but whenever I set foot in the same place The First Fleet did all those years ago, I feel like I’m in a whole new world. But to me it’s the best of both worlds, quiet suburb life with beaches, shops and entertainment less than an hour away, and all of it I can call home.

Living in the North West Suburbs of Sydney makes the city fairly easily accessible by car if you’re happy to pay upwards of $10 worth of tolls and pay a ridiculous amount in an inner city car park. Aside from the cost, driving in the city can be difficult and uncomfortable if you’re not used to it. I often take the bus in, otherwise parking at a train station and catching it in to Central is an easy and cost effective option, especially for students.

Now that I’m at Uni busy being a broke student, and my parents don’t pay for all my outings, I’ve had to learn to look for creative and inexpensive ways to enjoy the city. Sydney’s entertainment and scenery easily caters for even the poorest of students and tourists. While doing the Harbour Bridge Climb can make a $200 dent in your pocket, you can walk on the Harbour Bridge which still allows you to see the breathtaking views of the Sydney harbour and the opera house. Taking a walk past the opera house and through the Royal Botanical Gardens is an excellent free experience, which caters for amazing lighting for those classic tourist selfies. With a beautiful view of the opera house, Harbour Bridge and The Rocks, this area of Sydney allows the tourist or visitor to get the full experience worthy of a Facebook post while still leaving you with enough money to buy a soft serve from McDonalds.

Creative Commons Image - Nigel Howe

Creative Commons Image – Nigel Howe

Sydney loves to show off what it’s got and loves to have a bit of a party. Some of my favourite events that happen include the Vivid light show (May and June) and Sculptures by the Sea (October and November) cater to the amazing art and entertainment paired with the gorgeous scenes of Sydney’s natural landscape to pronounce the handiwork of local and international artists and technicians. These two events provide a perfect excuse for a day at the beach or a night out on the town.

The Rocks is my favourite part of the city with its beautiful views of the harbour and beautiful architecture. It is an oasis of small cafes, perfect for those Instagrammable meals with alternative cuisine. Every month, The Rocks plays host to a range of handmade eclectic markets which invite lovers of individual and handmade goodies; perfect for the hipsters at heart. This area can often allow for you to experience some of the awesome buskers and street performers that often grace the paths and streets of Sydney.

After enjoying these gorgeous scenes, Manly beach is a short ferry ride from circular key. Manly Beach is home to nice restaurants and beachy vibes, however can be quite pricey. Manly is the host to The Manly Pro Surfing contest in February which brings both a myriad of surf bunnies with amazing skills and free music in the shape of a two day festival featuring some of Australia’s finest artists.

Bondi Beach is not to be missed; meet the really hot lifeguards and see one of the world’s most famous beaches. Insider tip: go and get a picture and then go on the beautiful Bondi to Bronte walk, and stopping on any part of the journey will guarantee you a small quality café to have a bite overlooking some of Sydney’s breathtaking scenery.

Sydney is an awesome place with something for every level of traveller; rich and poor. Accommodating for a wide variety of interests at any time for the year, too much to fit into 750 words that’s for sure! I have loved being both a citizen and a tourist of this city and cannot wait to see all that there is left to discover of this eclectic and vibrant oasis. Sydney is perfect for both a day trip and a week trip with there being so much to discover and experience for any person; local or foreign.

Aubree Harrington is a Communications student and a Sydney local.