Revive Your Soul: Simply

Friday, August 16, 2019

My father always used to say “you don’t need all thatto go out and have fun.”  He was, and still is, a big believer in keeping things simple as a means to not miss on what is right in front of you. Road tripping along the North West Coastal HWY in Western Australia is the perfect way to see the north part of WAs beauty.  Just off the track you fill find soul reviving destinations such as the famous the Ningaloo Reef, Coral Bay, Shark bay and so much more.  You can go ahead and google up an endless list of sight-seeing in this area,  but a tip from me to you: don’t forget to stop and enjoy witnessing some of the simple and unique beauties that the Pilbara has to offer.

The highway starts in Geraldton, WA and ends 1,300kms later just outside of Port Hedland, WA. Make sure to stop your car, get out and look around. It is simple and it doesn’t cost you anything. Out here, if you stop, you will have absolute silence. If you bring your kids of course that will only last while you have manipulated them into playing the game of ‘sleeping lions.’ Make sure to realise that there a very few places in the world where you will find absolute silence without the use of noise cancelling headphones.

Kick your shoes off and put your feet in this incredible red dirt. It won’t cost you a single cent to connect with this natural beauty. Across the dessert plains you may come across these incredibly build termite mounds. No, I don’t love termites, but I can see how incredible it is that these insects are able to engineer such strong structures. These mounds can withstand cyclones, tropical flooding and incredibly hot heat. To me, there is beauty in that.

If you are able to visit the highway in the months of April to July, you need to go hunting for freshwater creeks. Little creeks are littering the sides of the highway but you will need to go off road and search if you want to find them. My family and I love nothing more than swimming and playing a freshwater creek. No other human begins around for a 100km or more. It is peaceful, no phone reception (yes!!) and clothes are definitely optional. It is places like this where mine and my family’s souls find rest.

These types of beauties aren’t what everyone desires, and I understand that. Just don’t forget, where ever you are, to see the simple beauties that surround you. In the moments where you able to see long distances without a building obstructing your view, drink clean water from a flowing creek, be still in silence and witness how incredible other creatures can be; soak it in and realise that these simple pleasures are rare around the world today and let these simple things revive your soul.

Share

Claire Michalski
Author

Claire Michalski

Claire Michalski is a teaching student at Avondale and this is her first attempt at writing a blog. She is passionate about her family and strives to keep life simple and peaceful.