A Day in Naples

Friday, July 26, 2019
Get Ready

Strap on your backpack and roll up your clothes (the ones you’ve packed but probably won’t wear), Europe’s summer is almost upon us! As June creeps closer, many of us decide to trade in the Australian winter for the warm Mediterranean sun.  If history, culture and feasting on local delicacies makes your mouth water than find a spot for Italy on your itinerary, and for goodness sake don’t skip over Naples…It’s not what you think!

Sure, Naples reputation isn’t exactly squeaky clean but if you’re looking for a hearty Italian city that has the power to transport you back in time, then trust me, it’s worth checking out. I would suggest arriving their early and making the day of it. Whilst I never felt unsafe, I probably wouldn’t take my chances with walking around the streets at night.

A day trip to Naples is relatively cheap via train, depending on where you are coming from and If you can navigate your way around an Italian website (Google Translate helps), you can find great deals on train tickets. Try the website, Trenitaliaas itis the main train line company in Italy.  You will arrive at Naples Central just in time for Prima Colazione (breakfast).

Im Here, Now What?

As you walk out of the station and head towards the town, you’ll walk past a few cafes. One that caught my eye was a little chocolate café, called Il Ciottolo.It didn’t look like much but as you peer into the counter you will see an assortment of pastries and treats. I diverted from the Naples delicacies, and ordered a Sicilian breakfast. I know we’re not in Sicily, but if your anywhere in the south, you’ll see them on all the tables of the locals. It’s basically a granita (I ordered chocolate) with an option of whipped cream over the top that you eat with a brioche bun. Sounds weird, I know, bread and flavoured ice, but trust me, there’s a reason everyone orders it. Don’t forget to order an espresso because, are you even in Italy, if you don’t?

Now that you’ve had your caffeine hit, you should be ready to explore the town. What I love about Naples, is its beauty beyond the trash. I know ‘trash’ is harsh, but it’s true. Don’t expect to go to Naples and take photos of the archaic buildings and beatifical Roman style scenes, because it’s far from that. Naples is a place where you put down the camera and take in the ambiance. It was heavily bombed in World War II and has struggled with repairs after lengthy recessions. As you walk the streets, look up to the units where you’ll see Italian Mammas, hanging their washing out, sliding their clothes on a pully across buildings, just like in the old movies. Little street markets of fruits and veg line the laneways as you make your way to Centro Storico, the historic centre of Naples and weaving cobble stone streets will guide you to through the city’s shops and pizzerias. If you can look beyond the surface of graffiti and cigarette butts, there is such beauty in an old city has truly been lived in.

In the historic centre, there is a special site that is off the beaten track: the Galleria Borbonica. If you’re a history buff then this is the place for you, or even if you just want to escape the midday heat. It’s an under-ground museum and its refreshingly cooler than the streets. If I didn’t happen to stumble across it while walking around I would never have noticed it, because it just looks like a regular house. And that’s mostly because it is. It only opened in 2007 when construction workers were renovating and came across an underground passage. Directly under this house was the last 500 yrs of Naples history. From the cities 17thcentury water source, to bombing refuges of WWII , this place has it all and for just 10 euro.

After your tour, you’ll most likely need something filling before your trek home and I have just the place for you. Did someone say ‘Eat, Pray, Love’? That’s right, it is the famous Pizzeria that Julia Roberts eats at. Well it’s in Napoli and it was seriously the highlight of my day! Unfortunately, it will come at a cost, not of your wallet but of your time. The wait time for a pizza can be two hours long! I know –  crazy – and something I would never do back home. But in Napoli, where the family flipping the dough have been the same since it opened in 1870, it’s worth the wait. Michele Condurro is the famous pizza maker who opened his doors in 1870 and nothing has changed since.  They sell only two types of pizza for 5 euro, they’re huge and put I’ll never experience anything like it again.

After pranzo (lunch) your feet should be aching, and your bellies should be full, ready for the trek home. I hope you enjoy exploring a city that holds special place in my heart and fall in love just like I did.

Share

Jade Harkins
Author

Jade Harkins

Jade Harkins is first year student at Avondale, where she is studying her Bachelor of Teaching. She is a bit late to the party, starting her degree at 27, but spent her early twenties living abroad in London and travelling Europe. In every new country she visits she indulges in the local delicacies and considers herself a bit of a connoisseur of worldy cuisine.